Get Started With NLQ
In this weeks post I want to provide the steps to get started using the NLQ feature inside VDM. In to use the NLQ feature you will need to have installed at least version 22.214.171.124.
To download the latest version of VDM, click here.
Step 1. Create An OpenAI Account
There are three options available for creating an OpenAI account. You can create the account using an email, Google account or Microsoft account.
1. Click sign up.
2. Select the account you want to use (Email / Google / Microsoft) and finish the sign up process.
Step 2. Log In & Copy Your API Key
Step Summary: Log into OpenAI and copy the APIKey and paste it into VDM's NLQ section of the settings.
1. Once logged in, click on your profile in the top right corner of the browser.
2. Click on View API keys.
3. Once you have your secret key created, click Copy.
Note: If you do not have a Secret Key created, click Create new secret key.
4. Paste the copied API key into the APIKey setting under the NLQ section in VDM, then click onto a different setting to save the changes.
Step 3. Using NLQ In VDM
Step Summary: Click on NLQ tab and enter a command, then click Send NLQ. Make any adjustments needed to the SQL statement that is returned and then run the view.
Note: NLQ uses Command Tables for the current connection. It is recommended to set up aliases on your command table using short & to the point field names with mixed casing for the best results.
1. Open VDM
2. Click on the NLQ tab.
3. Check/Enable the Command Table you want to create a query for.
4. Start entering a command that will get what you want from the table.
Example: "I need everything for orders shipped after October 1st 1997 sorted by employeeID"
5. Click Send NLQ once you have finished entering your command. You will then see the SQL statement returned below.
It is recommended to verify the statement returned is getting what you want. If it is not you can adjust the SQL statement that was returned or modify the command above.
6. Run the View.